The use of complementary and alternative medicines to improve health and well-being has increased in popularity for the past few decades. Part of it is making use of essential oils.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are compounds that are extracted from the leaves, barks, and rinds of a plant. It may also come from peels of fruits, seeds, and grasses. The extracted aromatic compounds from these are combined with carrier oils to generate a product that’s ready to be used.
Can Essential Oils Remove Skin Tags?
Skin tags are small and harmless skin growths that usually hang from the surface of the skin. It may not pose any harm to one’s health, but it can be bothersome to look at.
Many people suffering from skin tags seek professional help or may try natural remedies to remove it.
One proven natural remedy to help remove skin tags is using essential oils.
Two of the popular essential oils used in removing skin tags are the tea tree oil and castor oil. You may have heard a lot about these. But, have you heard about Oregano Essential Oil?
What is Oregano?
Oregano is an herb that comes from the mint family. It has a strong aroma and a slightly bitter taste. Usually, people use this to add flavors to different kinds of dishes. Aside from enhancing the flavors of food, oregano is also rich in antioxidants that provides several health benefits.
How do you Make Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil is extracted from the leaves and shoots of the oregano plant. They are air-dried, and once dried, the oil is extracted through the procedure called steam distillation.
During this procedure, the dried oregano plant and some water are placed in a still which is connected to a steam generator and water condenser. Pressurized steam is forced to the oregano plant, thus opening pockets of aromatic compounds and enabling the release of essential oils.
The steam containing the extracted essential oils will go through a cooling system. Here, the steam condenses into a liquid that contains the essential oil and the water. Since the essential oil is lighter compared to the water, it will float, thus enabling its separation from the water. The oil can then be collected and stored.
Benefits of Oregano Oil:
1. Fights Bacteria
Oregano oil contains carvacrol and thymol which are powerful compounds that help in fighting bacteria. It has been proven to stop and control the growth of certain types of bacteria. Some research also shows that oregano oil is effective in fighting some types of bacteria that are already immune to antibiotics.
2. Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
The compounds thymol and rosmarinic acid, found on oregano oils are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. When applied to the skin, it visibly reduces irritation and inflammation.
3. Fights Fungus
There are already many studies proving that oregano oils are effective in fighting at least five different types of Candida, a common type of yeast infection.
4. Powerful Antioxidant
Among the most commonly used herbs, oregano is confirmed to have the highest concentration of antioxidant properties. The antioxidant level of oregano is forty-two times higher than that of an apple and four times compared to blueberries. This is because of its rosmarinic acid content.
Does Oregano Oil Remove Skin Tags?
Oregano oil, regarded as “hot oil” dries out the skin tags. It has an astringent effect on the skin. Gradually, the oregano oil damages the outer layers of the skin tag until it becomes brittle and enabling it to fall off from the skin surface.
Steps on How to Use Oregano Oil on Skin Tags:
Oregano oil, being a “hot oil”, should be diluted with carrier oils to reduce its strong effect on the skin. It could burn the skin if not used properly. Before proceeding, perform a patch test first to see if the skin will react adversely. If not, proceed with the steps noted below:
- Apply directly the oregano oil to the skin tag. Avoid applying the oil to the surrounding skin. The oregano oil cleanses and numbs the skin tag. You will feel an initial irritation, but it will usually subside after a couple of minutes.
- Pull the stalk of the skin tag firmly. It will make the bottom of the skin tag easier to see and more accessible for effective removal.
- Tie a knot using a dental floss or silk thread over the skin tag. Keep the thread or floss in place while waiting for the skin tag to fall off. You may double-knot the skin tag to make sure that it’s secured. Then, cut the loose ends of the thread or the dental floss.
- Continue applying the oregano oil 2-3 times daily until the skin tag falls off. Let the oregano oil dry naturally. However, give your skin time to rest. If after ten days and still the skin tag has not fallen off, let it rest for the next ten days; then, start doing the cycle again. You may also cover the skin tag with a band-aid after applying the oregano oil. Just make sure that the skin tag has been air-dried before covering.
- When finally, the skin tag has fallen off, don’t forget to apply an antibacterial ointment to prevent any infections.
Is Oregano Effective in Removing Skin Tags?
There are fair shares of testimonials and reviews asserting to the effectiveness of oregano oil in removing skin tags, even though it might take time to see its effects or visual results.
The good thing with it, since it’s a natural remedy, it does not pose any harm to the overall health.
What are the Alternatives in Removing Skin Tags?
There are several other ways to remove skin tags. As discussed above, it can be done naturally by using natural ingredients like essential oils.
Some of the most common essential oils proven to be effective in removing skin tags are:
1. Tea Tree Oil
2. Frankincense Essential Oil
3. Lemon Oil
4. Rosemary Essential Oil
5. Lavender essential oil
6. Castor Oil
7. Sweet Basil Essential Oil
8. Rose Hip Seed Oil
You may also try the ligation technique. It is an act of tying a band at the base of the skin. It aims to cut off the blood supply to the skin tag. When blood supply has been stopped, the skin tag will naturally die, thus making it fall off from the skin surface naturally.
If you are afraid of doing the skin tag removal on your own, there are surgical procedures done by medical professionals that you may opt to.
Here’s the list of surgical procedures that can be done:
1. Electrocautery is a procedure that burns off the skin tags.
2. Cryosurgery or Cryotherapy is a procedure that freezes the skin tags using liquid nitrogen.
3. Excision is a procedure where the skin tag is cut off.
There are a lot of natural and surgical ways to remove skin tags. The effectiveness differs from one skin to another. One essential oil might be effective to some, but it can be worthless to others. With its abundance, there’s no harm in trying each. Nevertheless, always make sure to observe precautionary measures each time you use any.